5 April 2016
Clean-up Project Report, month ending, March 2016
Presented 5 April 2016
Field Trip (4 & 5) focused on removing debris from the northern and mid sections of Curtin.
To date a ¼ tonne of fishing line, hooks, lures, weights and rope have been cleaned-up/removed from Curtin and the diving is ahead of schedule.
At least the following wrecks were visited by divers in March 2016:
- Rock Driller Barge and concrete pipes.
|Date||Curtin Wrecks||Number of Dives||Fishing Line & lures/hooks (kg)||Fishing
|TOTAL to date||Southern- Mid- Northern||96||64 & 11||171||17 & 50|
|5 – 7 Mar 2016||Mid & Northern||70||36 & 11||148||12 & 75||2 small Burley bins
2 large burley bins
1 line reel
1 fishing rod
1 rod holder
1 toilet seat
- Clean-up event was aired on Channel 7 news.
- Local Cowan residents have requested that an article is written for the residents newsletter.
- Purchase waterproof paper = $35 per 100 sheets
- Advertise the next clean-up for 7- 9 October as houses and D3 vessel are available.
- Use the same format and budget EXCEPT:
- Have a working line available.
- Gloves are mandatory.
- Have second dive log for D3 RIB.
- Improve dive briefing and debriefing
- Emphasis the correct use of lifting bags, maybe organise a pool training session.
- Significant emphasis on improving the keeping of dive logs.
- Article to be written for Divelog magazine.
Field trip 4/5 – Fri 4 – Mon 7 March
Two tasks were successfully completed
- A total of 5 clean-ups were undertaken with a total of 70 dives performed.
- Two suitable sites were located and recommended to Riot Games. The preferred site being to the west of the Rock Driller Barge.
- 21 divers and 4 non-divers
- 2 RIBS = Dive Dive Dive’s RIB and skipper for a donation and URGQ Diver 1
- 2 houses = Cowan Beach House and Betty’s Place.
- Combination of transfers using MIA, RIBs and Tangalooma Flyer worked well.
- Allocation of 4 persons per car
- Rubbish collected can be dumped at Cowan if in bags.
- Channel 7 covered and aired the story.
- Banner supplied and used.
- John Kelly filmed and produced a 12 minute video
- Talk to be fully developed and delivered to URGQ before AGM in preparation for external groups.
- Aim to deliver the talk to BCF, Cannon Hill, Go Dive, residents on Moreton Island and at least one school.